Scrum Master is a mediator between the Product Owner and the Scrum team whose main goal is to keep the team’s performance growing. Scrum Master is a servant-leader–it’s not a manager who has the authority to make important business decisions or give orders to the team. Because of the flat structure of the Scrum team—everyone on the team is equal.
Scrum Master’s Responsibilities:
Service to the Product Owner
- Ensuring everyone on the team understands goals, scope, and product domain;
- Efficient Product Backlog management;
- Practical understanding of product planning;
- Full understanding of Agile;
- Scrum events facilitation.
Service to the development team
- Coaching the team on whatever isn’t clear about Scrum/Agile;
- Promoting self-organization and cross-functionality;
- Helping the team create high-quality products;
- Removing obstacles on the team’s way to progress;
- Scrum events facilitation.
Service to the organization
- Leading and Coaching Scrum adoption in the organization;
- Promoting Scrum understanding and implementation among employees and stakeholders;
- Cooperating with other Scrum Masters to grow Scrum effectiveness.
So Why Do You Need a Scrum Master?
- You get a person completely responsible for the well-being of your Scrum team.
- Scrum Master organizes Scrum meetings, plans daily sprint reviews, deals with backlog refinements, and moderates all other meetings.
- Scrum Master increases the quality of teamwork, which consequently leads to the increase of the product quality.
- Scrum Master removes all potential factors that may disable effective work of your development team–you can sleep with a calm mind!
Who Needs a Scrum Master?
If you want to have a high-quality Scrum team with all development processes running successfully, you definitely need to hire a Scrum Master. However, small teams consisting of 3-4 developers usually don’t need a full-time Scrum Master—appointing this role to one of the developers from the team on a part-time basis will be enough. But they’ll need to upgrade their Scrum knowledge to be able to perform well.
In case your team consists of 5-6 developers, you’ll need a full-time Scrum Master. And if your team consists of 10 members, you’ll need to divide them into 2 Scrums teams. In the latter case, you don’t need to hire another Scrum Master–one Scrum Master is capable of leading several teams. The optimal size of a Scrum Team is 9 members, but as the team grows larger, it becomes harder for a Scrum Master to control everything, especially if several teams are working on different parts of one product.
Hire a Scrum Master in Ukraine
Ukrainian tech market is filled with Scrum Masters, but taking into account the fact that many of them have entered the IT sphere without necessary background, finding a competent Scrum Master in Ukraine may be a challenge.
To avoid hiring wrong candidates and make sure you get only highly proficient candidates, you can hire a Scrum Master in Ukraine with tech partners, like Daxx.
Criteria for hiring a professional Scrum Master:
- Good organizational skills;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills;
- It’s perfect when Scrum Master’s values correspond Agile mindset, but generally, they simply must understand Agile perfectly;
- Impeccable knowledge of Agile frameworks.
By the way, if you have built a remote development team with Daxx and see that your software engineer would also make a great Scrum Master for your team, we can help you! We have an Agile Community at Daxx, so we provide our developers with Scrum mentorship to make sure they will perform as highly qualified Scrum Masters.
If you want to add a talented Scrum Master to your remote development team in Ukraine, we can do it within 6 weeks. Leave us your message with the help of the form below and we’ll get back to you promptly.