Want to hire software developers in Ukraine but have a couple of questions left? Our business development managers have shared their list of frequently asked questions they encounter when clients hire software developers in Ukraine.
For your convenience, we’ve divided the questions into the following categories:
About Daxx: Why Should I Hire Software Developers in Ukraine with Daxx?
4 Competitive Advantages of Daxx
- Over the last 22 years, Daxx has built a strong employer brand that helps our recruiters attract top-notch programmers. Most of our clients work with the top 25% talent in Ukraine. Consequently, our clients can hire experienced software developers in Ukraine with very little risk and no up front expenses.
- We want clients to work with us, not force clients to work with us and have a flexible setup preventing vendor lock in. When you build a development team with us, recruitment and termination comes without any additional charges. You don’t pay us anything until you find a developer that meets your needs or to end cooperation with us.
- Daxx provides the same level of high-call services as the 10 biggest IT service providers in Ukraine for companies looking to establish teams of up to 50 using a customer centric and individual approach. You will never be a number at Daxx. We are in the sweet spot between big and small.
- Daxx services aren’t limited to hiring software developers in Ukraine. All teams include a dedicated HR Client Manager free of charge, who’ll help you retain your talents. In addition, we offer a variety of on demand value added services such as QA or DevOps on demand to complement any additional needs a client might have in addition to hands on development.
Is your organization ISO certified?
- Yes, currently Daxx has ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 27001:2013 security certifications, recognizing high quality of our security management and quality management systems. We also recently received the Gold Microsoft Partner certification and are among the top software development companies in Ukraine according to GoodFirms and Clutch. So when you hire software developers in Ukraine with Daxx, you can be sure that your data is well-protected.
About Daxx Services: What Else Does Daxx Offer besides Hiring Software Developers in Ukraine
What types of services do you offer?
I only want to hire one software developer in Ukraine. Can you help?
- Absolutely. We have several long-term clients with one-developer. We can also help if you’re interested in building out or taking over your team in the future.
I want to hire a large development team. Can you help?
- Sure. We have lots of big mainly cross-functional teams, and we’ll help you build or expand yours at no additional cost. We will provide you with a detailed and free estimate of costs and realistic ramp up time for the team you are looking for.
What programming languages/technologies do you work with?
- Take a look at the CVs of our developers that are available for hire right now. With a bit of luck, you may be able to find the right specialist there, but don't hesitate to contact us if you don't find anyone immediately.
Where do the developers work from?
- In pre-COVID19 times, when you hired software developers in Ukraine with us, they worked exclusively from Daxx’s offices in Kyiv, Kharkiv, Dnipro, and Lviv. Due to frequent lockdowns and restrictions, we allow the clients to now get more actively involved in this decision. Many of them allow their developers to work from home (at least for now). We still supply them with all the necessary hardware and retention services of course.
What are the costs associated with setting up a team?
- You’ll be pleasantly surprised to hear that there are no costs associated with setting up a team with us. We’ll provide your team with everything they need to get started, including a standard hardware/software setup that works for 95% of our clients, equipment, furniture, office supplies, and support staff.
- If a client has special requirements concerning the workstation, they cover the expenses related to its purchase and setup.
What sort of HR/administrative support do you provide for your clients?
- A dedicated HR/Client Manager will be assigned to your team so that you’ll always know how your developers are doing and can get advice on project management best practices. Our accounting and legal teams will deal with all the administrative issues of operations in Ukraine including payroll, taxes, and social contributions for your offshore software developers.
What types of tech professionals can you help me hire?
How do you make sure my intellectual property stays secure?
- The offshore software developers you hire with us may work in our facilities, but the work they do belongs to you. We take extra care to make sure your intellectual property stays yours.
- We sign NDAs with all of our developers, and encourage you to do the same. Further, you’re welcome to use your own email servers or systems, and administer your team’s workstations remotely.
- Our standard security measures include restricted access to our offices, firewall and antivirus protection, a strictly-enforced password policy, and system administrator support. Additional security measures can be added at your request.
Aspects of working with Daxx. What to expect?
How are sick days and holidays organized?
- We charge a fixed monthly rate for each team member, regardless of how many days they work. Each member of your team accumulates their holiday days over time, all in all 20 days per year and takes them off in coordination with the client. A maximum of 10 sick days per year are allowed.
What type of support will my developers have from Daxx?
- Our office managers, HRs and system administrators will make sure your team’s working process is running smoothly. Our retention managers will organize team-building events to help your developers build stronger personal bonds. We’ll also get your developers tickets to local tech events to facilitate their professional growth. Apart from our many retention activities we also make sure the developers get healthcare insurance and are paid on time.
Can I invite my team to my home office?
- You sure can. Our travel managers will help your engineers with visas, travel arrangements, and accommodation.
Can I visit my team at your offices?
- Of course. Actually, we encourage our clients to visit their Daxx teams at least a few times a year and spend some time working side-by-side with them. It’s a great way to build trust and establish rapport.
Can the developers be in our Slack and task tracking?
- After you hire a developer, our sysadmins help install all the necessary software and tools of your preference. The developers are fully integrated into your existing setup, meaning they are in all your regular communication channels, have direct contact with you and the rest of the team, participate in all regular meetings and are in your task tracking system.
About the process: How to Hire Software Developers in Ukraine with Daxx?
How does the hiring process work?
- We can do both - address Daxx’s time-tried hiring process or implement the hiring strategy of our clients. Our regular hiring process includes four steps that ensure that you end up hiring the best-fitting specialists into your team.
- We have a large team of recruiters who have a deep understanding of the tech talent market in Ukraine and experience with hiring experienced developers. So you can expect our recruiters and HR Client Partners to share their practice-based tips on what to look for when hiring.
How much do you charge for recruitment?
- When you build a development team with us, recruitment comes without any additional charges. You don’t pay us anything until you find a developer that meets your needs. After that, you’ll pay a fixed monthly fee on top of your developer’s or team’s salary. All further recruitment and replacement services come free of charge, whether you’re making changes to your existing team or considering a major expansion.
- If you’re interested in hiring Ukrainian software engineers and relocating them to your home office, you’ll pay a one-time fee. You’ll, however, have to cover the costs associated with setting up face-to-face interviews, support throughout the visa application process, and assistance with the relocation.
How do you attract talent?
- We have direct access to more than 200,000 tech specialists in Ukraine as well as our own database of prospects we’ve gathered since 1999. While searching for suitable candidates, our highly experienced recruiters use their networks, internal communication channels and stimulate our developers to refer their peers. Our recruiters use the strong employer brand name Daxx has been able to establish.
We post our job posts on popular platforms and job boards specialized in IT used by job seekers in the industry, offer referrals to existing employees, go headhunting, and offer top-notch working conditions in interesting projects.
How would you advise to have the interview process?
- The interview process can change due to your requirements and the very specialists you’re looking for. Our recruiter and HR Client Partners will be glad to share their tips and tricks.
- In Ukraine developers looking for jobs normally are confronted with multiple offers. This means they are job seekers for only a short period of time. In our experience it works best to keep the hiring process short and smart and provide the developers with fast feedback to keep them engaged. The entire hiring process should not take more than two weeks. If test tasks are involved, we advise to keep them under 4 hours to work through, since most developers have jobs and don't have time to spend days on test tasks, but do them after work in the evenings or on weekends. During interviews, make sure to highlight the quirks and challenges of your project to catch their interest. Most of our clients work with a two stage interview process, a cultural fit or meet and greet and a second technical interview or a test task and evaluation round.
How long does it take you to build a software development team from scratch?
- Typically, all in all it takes 4-7 weeks to hire a developer in Ukraine: The 1st week is used to build an initial pipeline of candidates for clients to interview and test. If a developer is recruited out of an existing employment relationship, he will typically have a 2-4 weeks notice period before starting a new position. In short, if you plan on setting up a larger team a realistic timeline is to start with 2-3 team members within 3-7 weeks of recruitment and expand with 1-2 additional hires every month, since onboarding new team members requires time. Setting up a team of 20 developers would for example realistically take you between 8 and 9 months. If you’re interested in learning more about time and cost estimates, feel free to contact us using the form below and we’ll get back to you shortly.
How do you make sure the developers you find for me will fit my needs?
- We pre-select candidates based on their previous work experience, their soft skills and language capabilities. Additionally you can personally vet their technical capabilities in interviews and/or further tests. We can organize as many interview stages as you need to make sure you hire the right people, including code reviews, test assignments, and references from previous employers.
In practice, it doesn’t happen often, but if you feel dissatisfied with one or more of your Daxx engineers, let your HR/Client Manager at Daxx know immediately. We'll do our best to improve the way you and your new developers cooperate. Often a small change or better communication can make a big difference. If this doesn't work out, our recruiters will start looking for a replacement at no additional cost to you.
Are there any cancellation fees if I decide to stop working with you?
- None whatsoever. Just let us know one month in advance so we have time to wind things down.
Questions about Ukraine: Why Hire Software Developers in Ukraine?
How does Ukraine compare to other countries in Eastern Europe?
- There’s a 10-15% difference in the total development cost when you choose to hire software developers in Ukraine rather than in Poland. It’s easier and faster to hire software developers in Ukraine because there’s a larger number of software development outsourcing companies and, consequently, a bigger share of programmers who work in the IT outsourcing sector.
- Only a few large international companies have offices in Ukraine which means that the employer market in Ukraine has a lower employer competition than in Poland and that IT outsourcing companies in Ukraine have high chances to attract the high-class software engineers.
How is it to work with Ukrainians culturally?
- Ukrainian developers are not scared to communicate their thoughts. If something could be done differently or better, you will know. Besides strong communication skills you’ll notice is that Ukrainian developers have strong technical expertise and background and most of them have already worked on multiple projects. Those with prior experience in outstaffing companies are self-driven and can implement complex solutions without supervision or requirements spelled out to the last letter. Take a look at our Business Culture Whitepaper to learn more about the work ethics, business culture, and style of communication of the Ukrainian tech specialists in the tech industry.