There are currently around 200K developers in Ukraine, more than 4K tech companies, and 100+ companies from the Fortune 500 who have chosen Ukraine for hiring remote developers. Ukraine takes leading positions in the global rankings of IT destinations where you can hire a software development team. Keep reading to learn more about the Eastern European tech talent goldmine.
Why Ukraine Has the Best Developers for Hire in 2020?
- Ukraine ranks among the top 5 countries with the best developers in the world according to a SkillValue report.
- Ukraine is one of the top 5 countries with best developers in Europe, taking the 4th place.
- The number of highly qualified developers keeps growing — currently it has reached a whopping 192K, while the number is expected to grow to 242K by 2025.
Which Country Has the Best Developers?
According to SkillValue 2019 Report, based on 550+ technical assessments, the top 5 countries with the best developers in the world are:
Which country has the best developers? Ukraine is among the top 5 | SkillValue 2019
Ukraine ranks in the top 5 countries with the best developers in the world. Hungary comes 4th, Polands takes 3rd place, Mexico is on the 2nd position, while Slovakia takes the 1st place.
Ukrainian programmers are constantly mastering their skills – they moved up to the 5th place with an average score index of 93,17% in comparison to the previous research showing 91,26%.
The growing tech talent market fosters outsourcing to Ukraine keeps gaining popularity among foreign business owners. Tech talent quality and availability are the top factors considered, however, average cost for developers is also important.
Best Programmers by Country in Europe
- Czech republic
Ukraine is one of the top 5 countries with best developers in Europe and takes the 4th place. Czech Republic takes the 5th position, Hungary ranks 3rd, Poland is 2nd, while Slovakia is the 1st.
Which country has the best programmers in Europe? Ukraine comes 4th | SkillValue 2019
Which Country Has the Best Programmers? HackerRank
According to HackerRank, the top 5 countries with the best web developers are:
Best programmers by country | HackerRank
HackerRank, a leading tech platform that analyzes data from more than 1.5 million members, posted an extensive ranking of the countries with the best programmers, as well as breakdowns by specific competencies like algorithms, data structures, AI, and security.
However, we were especially happy to find out that Ukraine came 11th in the overall ranking. Surprisingly, the US came in 28th despite being home to a huge number of tech companies and industry luminaries like Bill Gates and Dennis Ritchie.
Similarly, some of the world’s most popular outsourcing destinations like Vietnam, India, and Pakistan placed far down the list (in 23rd, 31st, and 50th places respectively).
Which country has the best developers | Hackerrank
When the rankings are disaggregated by skill, Ukrainian programmers top the list with the best cyber-security knowledge and are in the top 5 when it comes to mathematics and distributed systems skills.
China ranked well in a number of domains: data structures, mathematics, and functional programming. Russia dominates in algorithms, the domain with the most popular challenges.
Countries with the best web developers by domain | HakerRank
Where Can You Find Best Web Developers in the World?
Ben Frederickson, a software developer from Vancouver BC, compiled a research on the countries with the best web developers in the world and here are the top 5 according to his research:
- United States
- United Kingdom
The study is based on the GitHub Users Accounts that have had public activity throughout the last 7 years. The dependence between population and the number of GitHub accounts affected the results obtained.
The United States has more GitHub accounts than populations of some of the European countries, so you can't really expect them to be competitive when ranking simply by the number of GitHub accounts.
To get more clear results, the data was also calculated according to the relation between the number of accounts and GDP. According to this estimation, the top country with best programmers is Ukraine.
As Ben Frederickson says: “Former Soviet states: Ukraine, Belarus, Serbia, and Moldova rank highly as all have more GitHub accounts than would be predicted by their respective GDP's.
In particular, Ukraine seems to be the best bet in terms of getting a deal on hiring a remote developer: there is plenty of Ukrainian talent available at what I imagine must be reasonable rates.”
Ukraine is the best country to hire web developers
Don’t miss the best articles!
Subscribe to Blog Digest
Subscribe to Blog Digest
The email has already been taken
We have interviewed a dozen of companies to reveal the tactics to help you hire web developers. These are:
The interview with Eduarda Bardavid,
Co-Founder and CEO at DragApp
- Interview candidates in three phases to assess them from different perspectives each time.
- The first interview is a high-level conversation to understand the candidate’s background. The second - to test technical skills. This phase is a mix of technical questions and assessment of previous experience in software development. The third interview is dedicated to behavioral questions.
- Request and evaluate examples of previous projects candidates have developed.
- Dismiss candidates that are brilliant technically but neither demonstrate team player skills nor fit your work environment.
The interview with Michelle Ridsdale,
the Chief People Officer at Envato.
- The software engineering interview process is composed of three stages. The first stage involves a Values and Technical Interview, the second is a Technical Coding Challenge, and the third stage is a Technical and Behavioural Interview.
- Don’t base your hiring decisions solely on skills; this can potentially create issues with workplace culture and collaboration, so look at values-fit as well.
The interview with Kevin Miller,
the Director of Growth at Open Listings
- The interview process typically consists of 2–3 rounds where the candidate meets with the core members of the team, the founders, and the people they’d be working with most closely.
- Find people who are excited about building something that has a lot of potential from the ground up.
- Disregard those who are only interested in luxury benefits that big companies can offer.
The interview with Brad Palmer,
the CEO and co-founder of Jostle
- We interview to determine if the candidate has the required technical skills and knowledge. Then we debrief while the candidate is waiting in another room. If the result is positive, the second interview happens right away. After this, both interview teams come together to make the final call. We know what we need and when we spot it, we hire immediately.
- Only hire people who thrive in challenging and creative environments.
The interview with Josh Horwitz,
Co-Founder and COO at PasswordPing
- We start with initial phone screens first with the recruiter (30 minutes) and then with the hiring manager (one hour).
- Start interviews with asking candidates what they know about your company and why they’re interested in the role you’re offering.
- Look for tech skills first and foremost, then experience with the technologies you use, then cultural fit.
- Discard candidates who: lie on their resume, hide their skill gaps, aren’t passionate about learning new technologies.
If you’re interested in hiring talented tech professionals in Ukraine, just contact us and we’ll help you based on your specific business needs. We do custom recruitment and take care of office space, equipment, support staff, payroll, and taxes for your developers, allowing you to focus solely on managing your development team.